SBS: Silverback

by Roman aka jar

Hi Jungle painters,

today another step by step article hits the massive jungle library of painting articles. This article's content fits perfectly into the jungle of massive voodoo as it represents a beautiful animal that I call one of my favourite animals ...

Silverback - more photos via Putty&Paint.



Again this article is free of any charge,
just for you to enjoy your future creations.

_______________________________________________________________________________
You want to support Massive Voodoo? 
If you like to support or say thanks the monkeys of Massive Voodoo in what they do, please feel invited to drop a jungle donation in their direction via paypal or check their miniatures they got on sale here.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Silverback - step by step
I encountered the sculptor of this wonderful head via Instagram and Tomek Radziewicz is a guy of pure talent. He is a full time sculptor, concept artist, creature designer, character designer, Sculptor the collector figure The Witcher III Wild Hunt.

Check his Instagram account for more of his beautiful work or check his artstation portfolio. We can already tell you that you might see more of his work here on MV in the future to come!

As a big fan of gorillas I have ordered this bust from him and not that Tomek is a really great sculptor, he is also a supernice person. Contact him for details on how to get a cast of some of his sculpts. 

Gorilla bust how it arrived from Tomek.
Great cast in resin, head already on the plate and no mould lines to be cleaned.

I primed him black.



I started fingerpainting this bust, slapping my initial colorful vision onto the sculpt with pure joy.

More and more and a lot of green.

I really enjoyed doing this absolutely freely with my fingers. If you have no clue how a fingerpainting start can look, check this nice video by jungle brother Josua on facebook.

Why fingerpainting you might ask?
Are you guys nuts? You will destroy the miniature definatly!!

No we will not, it is just a creative way of expression to get a quick access to your vision and also a way to feel and understand the volumes of the figure better.

I worked a little more on my sketch
now using a brush and a wash of black to get some contrast in my mix. With thin glazes I have added a brown color to the upperhead and with this step also painting cold highlights to the dark and black areas of the silverback.


I love to play with all these textures Tomek added to the sculpt.

And I really love the colors that come into play while I paint on top of my fingersketch.


This bust now needed a character
and for me a good way to implement character to a bust is by painting the eyes. I did so on top of black, followed by white and added a black circle for the pupil and the iris. I also added more sharper shadow detail to wrinkles, painted his teeth and increased more highlights with adding more and more white to the mix.



Eyes

Next stage of work was on more clean ups and sharper details. Stronger shadows, sharper smaller highlights and using glazes to tint back an area to the color I want there, for example the upper brownish head. Some people always ask me if I can name a color recipe for what I have done and I lately give the same answer: No! I am starting my paintjobs from these colors, 
and mix what I need on the fly.

I also decided to paint on the background. Brushstrokes that give a feeling of jungle. I love my brushstrokes.



A green intense influance from below.

A little brown to the eyes.

I can not tell you how much I love green!

Next painting steps were mainly going in again and again. Cleaning up here, defining something here or there. Increasing contrast with shadows and small highlights here. Tinting an area with thin glazes, recreating small highlight dots and edges when the tint went to strong. Wax on, wax off!




This paintjob was an absolute joy to do.
Started from a rough fingerpaint I worked my way into more and more details.


I am pretty sure I will paint more of Tomek's sculpts in the future. I love his styles and I love monkeys. Perfect match and I had so much fun doing this one.

Final photos:







A very arty paintjob some people told me, but yeah I like to enjyo my paint freely and sometimes like to slap it with my fingers. One day I will do a fingerpainting only bust, so I can say no airbrush, no brush used :D

There is even a small video I did of this bust, click!

This bust is for sale, if you are interested in supporting my art, passion and work check my PDF cataloge for more information.
Keep on happy painting and stay inspired!
Roman

_______________________________________________________________________________
You want to support Massive Voodoo? 
If you like to support or say thanks the monkeys of Massive Voodoo in what they do, please feel invited to drop a jungle donation in their direction via paypal or check their miniatures they got on sale here.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Comments:

There are 0 Kommentare for SBS: Silverback

Post a Comment